About Damghan

The name Damghan comes from “Deh” and “Moghan”. “Deh” means village and “Moghan” means Magi. This name was given by Zoroastrians, who included such people as King Cyrus and Darius of ancient Persia. Historiographers ascribe the construction of Damghan to Hooshang, Keyumars’ great grandson and the founder of the legendary Pishdadi dynasty. The historical town was called Qumis, which was located in a region of the same name, stretching from Sabzevar to Garmsar, from north up to Alborz Mountain Range and to the Lut Desert in the south. Up to the 1st century AD, Damghan was the capital of that great province. During Alexander of Macedon’s invasion into Iran, the Greeks called it Hecatompylos (“hundred gates”). The Greeks called every big and important city Hecatompylos and they have recorded a similar big and bustling Egyptian city with that appellation. Damghan was half destroyed in the 856 Damghan earthquake. Damghan was an important city in the Middle Ages, and was the capital of the province of Qumis (Qoomes), but was destroyed by the Afghans in 1723. Few remnants of that time remain; one is the ruined Tari-khaneh mosque. Damghan shines like a bezel in the desert region. With its ample cultural heritages and authentic background Damghan’s ancient civilization is undeniable and each relic in the city can substantiate its genuine past. By rubbing the dust of forgetfulness off this shining bezel we can display Damghan’s ancient shining face to the world and introduce it as an important tourism and sightseeing place in Iran.